Serving the people of Bradford, Harrogate, Selby and Craven Districts

Carer's Allowance is for people aged 16 or over who regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person.

You do not have to be related to, or live with the person you are caring for.

If more than one person provides care, only one can apply for Carer’s Allowance.
You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person.

To claim Carer’s Allowance you must:

  • be aged 16 or over
  • regularly spend 35 hours a week or more caring for an individual person who receives one of the following benefits:
    • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component at the middle or higher rate
    • Personal Independence Payment daily living component
    • Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • earn no more than £132 per week after tax, National Insurance and expenses
  • not be studying more than 21 hours a week or in full time education
  • meet the immigration and residence rules

For each week you get Carer’s Allowance you’ll automatically get National Insurance credits.

Carer’s Allowance can affect other benefits that you, or the person you care for, receive. It is important to get advice before you apply.

Carer’s Allowance Helpline

Telephone: 0800 731 0297; Textphone: 0800 731 0317
Apply online at If unable to apply online download the form from and apply by post.

Who can help you to complete the application form

Carers’ Resource may be able to help you complete the above benefit forms if the need for help has been identified as part of a wider package of carer support.

We cannot guarantee a successful outcome; however, we will offer impartial advice regarding the content of the form. All information provided is confidential.

If your application is not successful we will be unable to help you with a ‘mandatory reconsideration’ (a formal request for the decision to be reconsidered) or to appeal the decision. We are happy to help you access other services who may be able to assist.

If you need our help with this, please contact us.