Location: Skipton, Harrogate or Selby
Purpose of Role: To give carers of a partner, a family member or friend, the opportunity to have a break from their caring commitments by providing 2-4 hours of caring cover in or outside of the home on a regular or occasional basis during the day, evening or weekend. To offer a positive experience to the person being supported.
- Be well organised
- Be a good communicator
- Be reliable and committed to the role
- Be able to work as part of a team
- Supported and supervised by a named Carers’ Time Off Coordinator
- Guidance and ongoing support
Tasks you may be responsible for:
- Offering a listening ear to the carer about their health and wellbeing
- Where appropriate and as agreed give drinks and snacks
- As or when agreed taking the person into the local community or for a walk or other activity
Expenses: Agreed expenses will be reimbursed.
Activities DO NOT include:
- Assisting the person whilst they are using the toilet (this is personal care)
- Giving the person their medication
- Any moving or handling of the person
Location: The service is provided in and outside of the person’s home as agreed.
Time Commitment: Each carer requires a personalised service therefore the time of day and day of the week a volunteer will be expected to attend will be negotiated with the carer and agreed by the volunteer before they commence their first visit. The normal time is between 2-4 hours.
Training: Training and Information will be offered on a variety of appropriate topics on an on-going basis and in a variety of ways and will always be free to the volunteer.
- Health and Safety including fire awareness/safety
- Lone working
- Equal opportunities
- Equality and Diversity
- First Aid
- Communication needs of individuals
Benefits of volunteering:
- Increased knowledge of issues experienced by carers
- Enhance career prospects
- Gain skills and experience
- Work as part of a team
- Further volunteer opportunities with Carers’ Resource
- Developing Friendships
- Adding value to the local community