Serving the people of Bradford, Harrogate, Selby and Craven Districts

As your child approaches 18 you may be worried about which support services will continue and which may change or even stop altogether.

Caring for an adult can be very different from caring for a child, with changes to their support services, their rights and yours. Please contact us for more support if you need it at this time.

The term “Preparing for Adulthood” is used to describe the process of moving from childhood into adulthood. It takes place when a young person with SEND moves from Children’s Services to Adult Services or when those young people start to think about what they want to do as an adult. This usually happens between the ages of 14 and 25.

Most young people require support in four areas:

  • Higher Education and/or employment
  • Independent living
  • Participating in society
  • Being as healthy as possible in adult life

The National Development Team for Inclusion has produced a set of resources on Preparing for Adulthood

Find out what support is available from your Local Authority at this time by following the relevant link below: