The Carer’s Wellbeing Grant is a fund from Bradford Council for carers to help them with their personal wellbeing.
How do I get a Carer’s Wellbeing Grant?
The way the Carer’s Wellbeing Grant is being administered has changed. Bradford Council and Carers’ Resource have designed a new system that ensures carers can access support when they most need it.
Carers will no longer be able to apply directly. Instead they will need to have an informal review about their health and wellbeing with a Carers’ Resource member of staff, who will then be able to recommend the carer for a grant.
A Carer’s Wellbeing Grant is a one-off payment of up to £200. It is intended to enable carers to promote their own health and wellbeing and to help carers continue caring.
- The carer must be an unpaid carer aged 18 or over. (Carers are considered unpaid even if they are in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or manage Direct Payment/Individual Budget Funds for the person for whom they care). The fund is not for personal assistants or unpaid volunteers.
- The carer lives in and cares for someone living in the geographical boundaries of Bradford Metropolitan District Council and the Bradford, Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven Clinical Commissioning Group.
- A maximum of one grant will be given per cared-for person or household. Recommendation for a grant does not guarantee that you will receive a grant.
|A Carer’s Wellbeing Grant might be used for:||A Carer’s Wellbeing Grant CANNOT be used for:|
✔ Accessing therapy, pamper or hairdressing treatments
✔ The cost of Day trips or short breaks
✔ Educational Course/materials
✔ Equipment to enhance the caring role e.g. computer/laptop/tablet
✔ Hobbies/ Leisure activities
✔ Theatre or sports tickets
✗ General living expenses e.g. rent, food, drink, utility bills
✗ Driving lessons
✗ Debt repayments
✗ Purchase of household items e.g. furniture
✗ Any item for the cared-for person including services, aids or adaptations
✗ Items that should be funded by Social Care or Health Services
✗ Trips or breaks that have already been booked
The recommendation process:
- Recommendations will be processed upon receipt. Carers who received a Carer’s Wellbeing Grant in the last year are unlikely to be considered.
- Recommendations will be considered by a panel, which will meet once a month.
As there is limited funding for this grant it may be necessary to delay consideration of the recommendation until more funding is available. Carers’ Resource will contact the carer if the grant has been agreed, to ask the carer to read and accept terms and conditions, and to return payment information. The carer will be asked to give brief details about how the grant has made a difference to their life.